South Carolina 11 year-old believed to have died playing "The Choking Game"
An 11-year-old South Carolina boy is believed to have accidentally killed himself while playing “The Choking Game.”
Garett Pope Jr., a sixth-grade student in Indian Land, died after trying to cut off his ability to breathe to achieve a feeling of euphoria, according to the Lancaster County coroner’s office.
“My family has never felt pain like this before, and we don’t (want) anyone else to go through what we are going through,” his father Garrett Pope Sr. posted to Facebook in a plea for parents to talk about the dangerous practice with their kids.
He said that his family’s computers showed no signs of research about the “game,” and speculated that his son learned about it from other kids at school who could be playing it.
A GoFundMe page set up to remember the middle-schooler said that he had just started playing football before his death and wanted to go to Clemson University.
Money donated to the family will be used to help reading programs at Pope Jr.’s elementary and middle schools.